Jalie Love

Liz wrote this at 13:22 :

Well I have experienced the Jalie love. And I can see why they are raved about. I used the 2788 Twist Top. The fabric was a remnant I found at Spotlight - I am not sure of the blend, it is nice and stretchy though, and feels lovely on. Having never sewn a top like this before, the front piece did have me a little apprehensive at first. I made the back piece as one - I couldn’t see the point of cutting two and having a back seam. I also left off the back neckline tie - I think it would have annoyed me too much! My only other alteration (other than not having enough fabric for 3/4 length sleeves), was to lengthen to the longest length and merge out from the V size line to W at the hips.

jalie2788.jpg

Cheers!

Book Week Sharing

Liz wrote this at 07:34 :

Whilst I wrote the last post, I remembered that I hadn’t posted about DS being a finalist in our local council book week poster competition. All the kids in the school entered a poster into the competition, as did all the other kids in all the other schools in our local council (I never realised we had so many schools! lol) Then they judged them etc, etc, and DS got a letter inviting him to a presentation as he had been chosen as a finalist in his year group. Very exciting.

bookweek1.jpg

We went along to the presentation, and DS got called up, so he went out to the front by himself and stood on the stage and accepted his prize and a certificate. I was so proud of him, as he really doesn’t like things out of routine, or being centre of attention with people he doesn’t know. After he was allowed to sit back down, he didn’t even open the wrapping of his prize - he waited until he got home - aww!

bookweek2.jpg

Although he didn’t win his age group, it was a great honour for him to go up, as he was the only student from his school chosen as a finalist. They even made a big fuss of him at the school assembly (we have a lovely little school with less than 300 kids from kindy to year 7).

Cheers!

Be Careful Mr Bump

Liz wrote this at 07:19 :

here comes the wolf!

Well ok, a slight exaggeration. Two weeks ago was DS’s class assembly at school. Being book week, they needed to come dressed as their favourite book character. So I asked DS who he wanted to dress up as. “Mr Happy” was the reply. Well, if you know your Mr Men characters, then you will know he is round and yellow. Hmm….the yellow I can do….but no idea on how to create the round. So I asked DS to chose another - this time it was Mr Bump. That I could do. So I set off to the shops in order to purchase blue track pants, and a blue long sleeve top, as it is still quite wintery here. Oops - thats right, the shops are stocking their summer stuff now. Grrrrrrr!! Not a decent pair of pants or a plain blue top to be found.
So that meant I HAD to go to Spotlight. Luckily blue fleece and cotton knit were easily found. Patterns were from Ottobre - I took the pockets from one pair of pants and used them on the smaller sized pattern (Otto 3/2004 #20 for the pants and the pockets from #31 - same issue). The top is the same pattern as the black spider tee, I just made it long sleeved (Otto 3/2008 #29). At least bandages aren’t seasonal.
Mr Bump was embroidered onto the front of the top (and I am still amazed by how many kids don’t know who Mr Bump is!) He had a ball, and best of all, the clothes are wearable as everyday clothes. And the pants are long enough that I can let them down for next year :)

mrbump3.jpg

mrbump1.jpg

Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf? Well not me! Mainly because it isn’t scary - just really cool. I wanted a new jacket for DS, as he has pretty much grown out of the previous two I have made him. So when the latest kids Ottobre (4/2009) arrived I traced #40 out straight away. Even though it was a size bigger than he takes. Ah well, he’ll grow!
I managed to get two remnants of polar fleece at Spotlight, for $2 each, and there is possibly even enough left to make another jacket with the colouring reversed. Makes a pretty cheap jacket :)

wolfjacket1.jpg

I had never sewn with polar fleece, and I had a few issues with topstitching the pocket zips. One I wasn’t happy with, so I un-picked, and restitched it. Only to find out when it came time to put them onto the jacket, that I had two identical pockets - instead of two mirror image pockets (because one side of the pocket is smaller). Duh! So I had to un-pick again. But despite that, it was an easy pattern for a jacket, with, I think, a great looking result. The embroidery is from http://www.emblibrary.com/ and works well with the polar fleece. Parts of the wolfs jaw isn’t stitched, so when you wash it, the fleece fluffs up within the design - and the grey is almost perfectly matched.

wolfjacket2.jpg

DS loves it, and although it is a little big, he will fit it hopefully until next year.

wolfjacket3.jpg

He is pointing at the Farbenmix skeleton ribbon that is his favourite :)

Cheers!