My First Knipmode Pattern

Liz wrote this at 08:42 :

And I love it!

IMG_6020.JPG

As soon as I saw the sleeve-less top (#4) in the July 2010 issue of Knipmode, I knew I wanted to make it. And as far as patterns go, it appeared relatively simple. Perfect for a first try sewing something for me from a foreign language magazine (it is in Dutch).

So after working out what colour lines I was looking for, and on what sheet (thank you babelfish), I traced out my size, added a good 5cm extra length to the hem and set about cutting the fabric.
I bought this fabric because I love purple, and I have another style of top a want to try that needs a light weight, slinky-ish knit. It was a bit slippery to work with, but lots of pins help.
I wasn’t going to do the pleats at the neck, I was just going to gather it, but the pleating was so simple I went ahead. And I am glad, because it looks nice.

IMG_6022.JPG

I am not sure what they intended you to do with the neckline, because you cut three pieces, 2 for the front neckline (one left, one right) and one piece for the back. I had already sewn a shoulder seam by this point (oops!), so I joined the neckline pieces together into one strip. This worked out ok, but the pieces were all too long (I don’t know what the seam allowance included was, so it may have been my fault). Easily rectified and on I went.

The armholes were easy, but again, the binding seemed too long (next time I will shorten it and pull it a bit when attaching, as I feel it doesn’t sit close enough to my body).

I do love the gathering in the side seams - helps hide the lumps and bumps :D

IMG_6023.JPG

I could have not added the extra length, it seems these patterns are about spot on length-wise for me! Woot!

Cheers!

Dortje (finally)

Liz wrote this at 08:42 :

These pants have been made for ages! At least a month if I remember correctly. But every time DD wears them, I totally forget to take a photo. Well, here they are, and DD declined to model them for me.

I used both mid wale and baby cord and stitched the embroidery directly onto the pants. That was a worrying time, as I had already put the pockets onto the front, and have done very little stitching onto the actually garment before. The design took about 40 minutes to stitch out, and I sat there with my fingers crossed that it would work properly and I wouldn’t ruin the front of the pants, as I was using remnants of both fabrics.

IMG_6032.JPG

Thankfully it did, and it looks great!

I did have one issue with the pants, and that was after stitching the legs together, and overlocking, my elastic for the gathering in the side seams wasn’t so gathered. So I stitched some clear elastic in to make it more obvious. It worked, but seems to pull the legs in on themselves a bit. Never mind, she will grow and then I will need to make more soon :)

IMG_6030.JPG

Cheers!

A Many Pocketed Apron

Liz wrote this at 08:41 :

Recently my DD’s teacher asked if I could make her an apron. One with many pockets to hold little bits and pieces for stories and fun things for pre-primary class :)

All the pockets are different fabrics, with different textures and colours. I used a basic apron pattern, and cut the pockets just big enough to fit a hand into.

IMG_6018.JPG

I do love the result, bright, colourful and interesting :)

Cheers!

Kids Dress Up Day

Liz wrote this at 08:40 :

Last week, both of the kids had dress up day.

For DS, it was NAIDOC week, so he was to wear NAIDOC colours to school. He wanted a bit more though, and asked for an Aboriginal flag on his t-shirt. Since he was using his red sports tee, I didn’t want to paint onto it, as it is sports week in the not too distant future.
A quick look at my felt collection produced yellow, red and black. So I cut out a small flag and stitched it onto his t-shirt for the day. Quick and easy, and the flag is there for next year should he ask again.

IMG_5997.JPG

DD was dressing up as a nursery rhyme character, and wanted to be little miss muffet. Well, little miss muffet had a slight wardrobe deficit, so borrowed her top and skirt from little red riding hood. But she did have a new cap, apron and spider :)
The cap I made with a circle of fabric, roll hemmed the edge and sewed elastic in about 6cms from the edge (like a shower cap).

IMG_5988.JPG

And the apron was just a rectangle, gathered a little at the top, a sash tie with velcro at the back, and a ruffle.

IMG_5987.JPG

The spider, brown felt and wool covered dowel - quite simple really.

IMG_5998.JPG

Cheers!