Soaping Experiments

Liz wrote this at 07:04 :

I recently decided to try some new scents from Bambleberry, as they came in trial sizes. About enough frangrance oil to make 2 soaps - perfect, especially if I didn’t care for the smell.

I also decided to try a new recipe (made up by me) that had the addition of coconut cream. Not much, but having tested some of the soap, it is a nice inclusion. Unfortunately, that first batch I forgot to include the almond oil (until I saw it sitting there after I had delicately layered the soap). This meant rebatching in the crockpot, thus messing up my beautiful layers and changing the appereance :( The scent in this one is Key Lime Pie - a very sweet scent, but it seems to have lost some of its potency as it sits. This is how I wanted it to look

IMG_1035.JPG

This is how they actually look

IMG_1045.JPG

The other fragrance oils I tried were:
- Moonlight Pomegranate (this accelerated on me a bit, and I wasn’t expecting it, hence why it is a bit lumpy bumpy)
- Oatmeal, Milk and Honey
- Cranberry Pomegranate
- Black Raspberry and Vanilla
- Mango Peach Salsa
- Pineapple Cilantro
- Pina Colada (sadly this separated so badly I couldn’t pull it back together and it was thrown out)
- Coconut Lime
- Kumquat
- Cranberry Fig (this one and the next two, had already started to thicken by the time I got to mixing the fragrance, which is why they aren’t as smooth and pretty)
- Yuzu
- Love Spell

From top left, 1st row, they are: Key Lime Pie, Moonlight Pomegranate, Oatmeal Milk and Honey, Cranberry Pomegranate
2nd row: Black Raspberry and Vanilla, Mango Peach Salsa, Pineapple Cilantro, Coconut Lime
3rd row: Kumquat, Cranberry Fig, Yuzu, Love Spell
4th row: Lavender Vanilla

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

My other issue with these batches is that I think I soaped too hot - so trying to make small amounts of each fragrance (6 to a batch), the soap started to gel in the pot. Such is the way of learning I suppose.

Since I was then out of coconut cream and almond oil, I just used the base recipe that I like and made some simple log soaps.

Again, this one was too hot - impatient much!? It was meant to be Lavender, but I didn’t have enough when I went to weigh the scent, so added some Very Vanilla to it. I also tried a swirl in the pot - not overly successful, but not too bad. The purple could have been more purple.

IMG_1069.JPG

And finally today, I finished up with a hopefully more successful in the pot swirl. Coconut Lime and Key Lime Pie fragrance oils - white and green swirls. We will have to wait for tomorrow to see how good the inside swirls are :)

IMG_1074.JPG

Cheers!

Where I Am At

Liz wrote this at 11:05 :

Well, this blogging thing has certainly become a little sparse. Another whole month has passed without a whisper on here. I suppose life is a bit like that. Sometimes busy and sometimes quiet.
Currently my life is busy. About 18 months ago I decided I wanted to go back to study. This was a big step. I had been out of the workforce for nearly 10 years and hadn’t studied since I was a teenager! After being asked to volunteer in my daughters class helping with art each week, and helping begin and run a playgroup at my kids school, I knew that I really wanted to work towards becoming an EA. So I enrolled in an external course and started studying.

Now I also do some relief work and continue to study and try to fit everything else in around that. There is just over 6 months left of my course, a few more assignments and one more work placement to go. Then….well, I don’t know what comes next. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Now I know that pretty pictures are appreciated, so I best find some photos of what crafty happenings have occurred around here lately. I think I need to start off with the rest of my TDF spins, as I didn’t quite get back to them….

All these fibers are from Corgi Hill Farm (how unusual lol).

This braid of Merino/Bamboo/Silk (50/25/25)

IMG_8920.JPG

became this yarn

IMG_9257.JPG

which became this very special shawl.

IMG_9376.JPG

IMG_5384.JPG

This braid of Shetland

IMG_9055.JPG

became this squishy 3ply yarn of about worsted weight. No plans for it yet, but it maintained a pretty good gradient, so something to show that off I think.

IMG_9320.JPG

Lastly this braid of BFL/Silk (85/15)

IMG_9152.JPG

became this yarn.

IMG_9286.JPG

That will do for now I think.

Cheers!